Saturday, May 23, 2026
HomeHealthCONTACT TRACING: Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases as cross-border infection raises...

CONTACT TRACING: Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases as cross-border infection raises fresh surveillance concerns

Uganda’s health surveillance and contact tracing systems are once again under intense focus after the Ministry of Health Uganda confirmed that one of the country’s latest Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) cases involved a traveler from the Democratic Republic of the Congo who had already returned home before testing positive.

The Ministry on Friday announced three new Ebola infections, raising the country’s confirmed cases to five.

While two of the new patients — a Ugandan driver and a health worker — were already under monitoring as contacts of the country’s first confirmed case, the Congolese woman’s case has drawn particular attention because of the complex cross-border movements involved.

According to health authorities, the woman entered Uganda from the DRC while experiencing mild abdominal symptoms before traveling from Arua to Entebbe on a chartered flight.

She later sought medical attention at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, where she received treatment and was discharged four days later after reportedly improving.

Officials said the breakthrough in the investigation came after the pilot who transported her alerted authorities, prompting surveillance teams to track the case and retrieve a sample for testing.

The results later confirmed Ebola Virus Disease.

The incident has highlighted both the risks posed by regional mobility and the importance of timely information sharing during disease outbreaks.

Public health experts say Uganda’s geographical position and extensive movement of people across borders make surveillance systems critical in preventing widespread transmission.

The latest case also demonstrates the challenge of detecting Ebola infections when symptoms initially appear mild or resemble common illnesses.

Health authorities have since identified and placed all known contacts linked to the confirmed cases under close monitoring.

The Ministry said the newly infected driver and health worker were already being followed up because they had direct exposure to the country’s first Ebola patient.

The development underscores the heightened vulnerability of frontline workers and transport personnel during outbreaks, particularly those involved in patient care and movement.

In its latest update, the Ministry reassured the public that response teams are continuing to strengthen surveillance, contact tracing, case management, and public awareness campaigns aimed at containing the outbreak.

Officials also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and immediately report symptoms associated with Ebola to nearby health facilities.

“Early treatment greatly improves chances of survival,” the Ministry emphasized.

The statement was signed by Prof. Charles Olaro, who reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting public health and containing further spread of the virus.

Uganda has previously been praised internationally for its rapid outbreak response systems, particularly its use of aggressive contact tracing and coordinated surveillance during past Ebola epidemics.

However, the emergence of a case involving international travel and delayed confirmation is likely to intensify scrutiny over screening systems, private healthcare reporting mechanisms, and regional coordination between Uganda and the DRC as health authorities work to prevent additional infections.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments